Michael has been working as a Risk and Compliance professional for over 14 years. He gained an honours degree in Law from London University and has a post graduate certificate in Fraud Management. Michael worked at the SRA for ten years as a practice standards advisor, a member of the fraud and confidential intelligence bureau and as an advisor to and monitor of the SRA’s assigned risk pool for firms. In that time Michael undertook compliance audits at more than 300 legal practices, and led teams of advisers on monitoring visits to large and city firms helping to reduce complaints, fraud and misconduct and having identified non-compliances helped put improvement plans in place.
Since leaving the SRA Michael worked as Risk Manager for a top 200 law firm involving the following responsibilities:-
- Close liaison with the firm’s COLP and COFA to ensure that the firm complies with the SRA’s regulatory requirements including the Code of Conduct.
- Regular liaison with the COFA regarding compliance with Money Laundering Regulations and adherence to the Solicitor’s Accounts Rules.
- Providing the COLP, COFA, and the board with the outcome of regular file reviews and audits of the firm’s supervision policies by means of monthly and annual reports.
- Ensuring there is adherence from all staff to all internal risk management and quality procedures, all statutory external compliance and Lexcel standards.
- Regular liaison with departmental managers to identify departmental challenges and devise and monitor any necessary changes to working practices, policies and procedures to improve the department’s and firm’s overall risk profile.
- Acting as the firm’s point of contact with regard to continued Lexcel accreditation.
Michael is a keen follower of Lancashire County Cricket club and a visitor to the Theatre of Dreams when the opportunity presents.